Root canals are routine dental procedures that involve removing the nerve tissue from the tooth and placing a filling material inside the root system. Think of it like a big filling that extends from top to bottom.
How do I know I need root canal treatment? Look for the following signs:
- Extreme sensitivity to hot or cold
- Swelling of the face or inside the mouth near the teeth
- Tenderness when chewing
- Pain that wakes you up at night
- A chronic infection is identified on a dental x-ray
When are root canals needed?
- When a tooth is infected
- When a cavity is too big and has invaded the nerve space (pulp chamber)
- During some restorative dentistry in order to build up a broken or heavily-filled tooth to support a crown or bridge
Are root canals painful?
- Contrary to popular belief, root canals themselves are not painful! At Horizon Dental we use the latest techniques and technologies to guarantee a pain-free experience.
- In some cases, the initial infection or “pulpitis” (nerve inflammation) can be excruciating, which may require the use of medications or special procedures to eliminate pain and infection.
- The most common cause of root canal failure is persistent infection. For this reason, we use the Waterlase iplus Er:YSGG laser to ensure superior disinfection of the nerve system for better long term results.
- Don’t let your concerns about root canals prevent you from saving your tooth. The only other option is to have the tooth removed.