We offer a range of cosmetic treatments to fix teeth that are discoloured, chipped, cracked, crooked, and more.
Restorative & Cosmetic Dentistry
Restorative & cosmetic dentistry refers to dental treatment used to renew your smile, often by altering the colour and shape of the teeth. This may include several types of restorative dentistry, such as bonding, veneers, or traditional crown & bridge treatment.
What are Veneers?
- Veneers are used in cosmetic dentistry to change the colour or shape of a tooth or to close spaces around teeth.
- They are thin shells of white porcelain or resin that are bonded to the enamel, which are much more conservative than a full crown.
What is Bonding?
- Bonding refers to using white filling material (composite) to close spaces or change the shape of the teeth like a veneer.
- Bonding is often much less expensive than a veneer, but will usually breakdown faster – sometimes staining or chipping away.
It’s still very common for people of all ages to need fillings for tooth decay, broken or chipped teeth, or to replace older/worn fillings.
What type of fillings are available at Horizon Dental?
Dr. Nagel only uses white (composite) fillings that are “bonded” to your tooth. The benefits of composite include:
- More conservative, less enamel is removed from the tooth during preparation.
- Blending in with natural teeth, allowing them to be hidden.
- Helping protect teeth from further breakage or chipping.
- Improved esthetics with bonding and veneers.
Are silver fillings safe?
- Nagel doesn’t use silver “amalgam” filling material. The newer composite materials are far superior and less likely to cause cracking or breakage of teeth.
- While the Canada Dental Association advises that there is no recognized medical danger to amalgam, many people may experience sensitivities to the metals and may benefit from having them replaced.