We offer a range of cosmetic treatments to fix teeth that are discoloured, chipped, cracked, crooked, and more.
Restorative & Cosmetic Dentistry
Restorative & cosmetic dentistry refers to dental treatment used to renew your smile, often by altering the colour and shape of the teeth. This may include several types of restorative dentistry, such as bonding, veneers, or traditional crown & bridge treatment.
What are Veneers?
- Veneers are used in cosmetic dentistry to change the colour or shape of a tooth or to close spaces around teeth.
- They are thin shells of white porcelain or resin that are bonded to the enamel, which are much more conservative than a full crown.
What is Bonding?
- Bonding refers to using white filling material (composite) to close spaces or change the shape of the teeth like a veneer.
- Bonding is often much less expensive than a veneer, but will usually breakdown faster – sometimes staining or chipping away.
It’s still very common for people of all ages to need fillings for tooth decay, broken or chipped teeth, or to replace older/worn fillings.
What type of fillings are available at Horizon Dental?
Dr. Nagel & Dr. Whitelaw use white (composite) fillings that are “bonded” to your tooth. The benefits of composite fillings include:
- More conservative, less enamel is removed from the tooth during preparation.
- Blending in with natural teeth, allowing them to be hidden.
- Improved esthetics with bonding and veneers.
Are silver fillings safe?
- Dr. Nagel & Dr. Whitelaw don’t use silver “amalgam” filling material as there are a wide range of modern materials to choose from that allow them to offer more conservative, durable, and esthetic options for our patients.
- While the Canada Dental Association advises that there is no recognized medical danger to amalgam, some people may benefit from having them replaced with updated materials such as white (composite) fillings, crowns, or onlays.